Thursday, September 16, 2010

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

While I feel incredibly guilty for the following, I have deemed it absolutely necessary for the safety of my babies! I fought the urgent need to put them in this "playpen" as long as I possibly could. It was only after the third time of doing the heimlich on Aubrey that I felt I could resist no more. I hate that they have to spend their "down" time in this contraption, so I bought as many panels as I felt we could fit to make it big and enticing. I really thought that they wouldn't even notice that they were "pinned in". I researched all kinds of gates and read what other moms have done and I bought the only "good" one that fit into our budget. Despite my best efforts, it still looks like a dog pen and Aubrey hates it! Inevitably within five minutes of being in there Aubrey has this face:


Annie has acclimated and seems to be quite content.

But for Aubrey, there is nothing worse. She finds the side closest to me, and stands up with her little face over the edge and cries. How could she not love it? It takes over our whole living room.
We are going to have to try it for a little while longer to see if we can't develop a love for the gate. I have to keep these babies safe. Overnight they went from sitting up to crawling, eating everything they can find, trying to climb up the stairs, shoving things in the VCR, chewing on cords, etc. I swear with my others, we worked up to those things. Not these two, they are 100% into everything and I can't keep up. And so it is. We'll see how it goes!


And for the next desperate maneuver. Lainey has most definitely outgrown her toddler bed. She falls out everynight and climbs in bed with Hallie or Maggie. With a limited budget and one bedroom to work with, we got creative. We put their beds together and with a little ingenuity, we created the most giant king bed you could imagine. Aaron doubted me the whole way, but alas, it is perfect and the girls love it! But like Aaron says, our living space is ever evolving to meet the needs of our growing and changing family, so we'll see what is in store for next week!














8 comments:

{Erica} said...

Don't feel guilty katie...I'd seriously feel like I have to put up a gate. I am getting nervous for when my little guy can crawl around. Our play room is a choking hazard for sure. I don't want him to end up in the ER like Ella, in surgery to remove a quarter from his throat!

I'm sure the kids will end up at least tolerating the gate and it's HUGE so at least they're not in a pack n play!

You're doing awesome!

Love the bed idea...seems like the girls like it also.

Cassie said...

oh man I can't even imagine chasing around two!!! You definitely needed those gates! You shouldn't feel guilty at all, they will get used to it! They also have a playmate, they couldn't possibly get bored in there! Love the bed idea with the 3 sisters, so cute!

Elise said...

I can't think of anything more fun than that giant bed! Love all the new pictures. The twinnies are so adorable! I love their hair.

Unknown said...

You are the best mom I know! Hang in there!!! Your family is so cute! I love the scriptures that talk about ENDURING to the end. We do what we have to survive and keep our family safe...and keep ourselves somewhat sane! You're the sweetest!

Anne said...

love all the photos and updates. i can't believe all the injuries!

Em and Klint said...

I love Aubrey's face!!! Thats pretty funny!! Hallie and Maggie look so big in their school pictures I can't believe it!! I wish I was there so I could help you chase the kiddos and spoil the babies!!! I want to be neighbors so bad so we can hangout whenever we want to!! Love you! Give all the girls hugs and kisses for me!!!

James and Jessica Ford said...

Seriously, how do you do it? I didn't know about maggie and Lainey's teeth. Was that a dentist visit? Or two? You still haven't written about the ER visit in the middle of the night without telling aaron. That is still the best story out there. i tell everybody!

Kami said...

Love the dog---I mean kid cage! That is awesome! I love the KING size bed,how fun is that!!! We miss you guys but are glad you are all doing well!!!!
ps. I need some help I tried to change my background on my blog and it just really was not what I was looking for. I love yours and it is perfect with the family picture! I might have to copy you! If I could figure it out!